When I fail to pray...


The only reason we fail to pray, writes Ann Voskamp, is because we've made an  'idol of self.' 

I can't stop and pray.  I'd like to but I can't.  I'm clearing the house of bits and pieces of stuff.  I'm a giant snowball gaining ground as I walk throughout our space gathering items. 

I know it's time to pray, but I don't stop or even pause. 

Why doesn't someone grab me and tell me that a soul can shrivel and die without prayer?  That 'praying is more important that eating because your soul is more important than your body.'  (Peter Kreeft).

I can't pause to pray - I'm concentrating on balancing chaos and order in her bedroom.  Tucking her clean laundry into deep drawers, I feel an urge to stop but I shush it away.

A Voice whispers, "When will enough be enough?"

Ashamed, I stop.

Shaken. I feel my face flush. I bow my head and wait.   Conviction slips like a knife through my stubborn heart.


"The only thing that stands in my way of praying - is me."


My schedule - my convenience - my way.


 
"It's a startling, wrenching thing to discover that it's not time, or busyness, or pressing concerns that prevent one from prayer.  The extent of prayer in one's life is a direct function of whether something else has been set up as more important than God."  (Ann Voskamp)