Do you love to read?


I have never understood how people live in this world when they don’t read.  I have (mostly) grown past the point where I judge these people; I’m marrying one of these people.  Reading is hard for him; it takes more concentration than he’d like to give to a flat page of text; he’d rather move, deconstruct, reassemble.  This is truly okay.

And yet, I don’t know how he does it, staying in this world of this now every minute of every day.  I don’t think I’d survive.

And I know my work wouldn’t.

My sense of the world is shaped by what I’ve read as much – maybe more – than it is by the people I know, the places I’ve been, the jobs I’ve done.  I’ve been reading longer than I’ve been doing most anything beyond the simplest of human function – breathing, eating, ...sleeping, talking.  And while I don’t read while I talk or sleep, I wish I could.

So when it’s hard for me to understand how the man I love most in the world does not like to read, I truly don’t understand it when writers don’t read. In fact, I think it’s wrong when writers don’t read. For a writer to not read is like my fiance, the quintessential car guy to not try to figure out every car in a film by its dashboard or to not want to understand all the aspects of how an engine in our new car works.  It just doesn’t make sense.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment