summer reading list...part 2

The cover is creased and the edges slightly
curling, but otherwise....



For me there is an overwhelming satisfaction in setting out to enjoy a long awaited book. I’m the kind of person who wanders around a bookstore picking up books just to feel them. I love to open a book that’s never been opened, to run my fingers over the crisp pages. I love to breathe in their inky perfume.

I never feel lonely if there are piles of books in every room. In my comfy chair or at my office desk, I am perfectly happy just gazing sideways at my bookshelf, admiring the various titles and fonts, the colors of the dustjackets, the publishers’ symbolic logos on the spines. I can wallow for hours in happy anguish over which book to start next. At some point, I choose one. After consuming every word on the dust jacket, examining the front matter and table of contents, and leafing through a few pages, I finally begin to read.

So reading for me is an experience of physical comfort as well as intellectual stimulation and emotional contentment--all provided by a handful of compressed wood pulp covered with tiny black symbols. (Bookwoman Jan)

I thought you might like more options for choosing your favorites or suggestions for titles that might interest you...here are several websites to browse.

www.whatshouldireadnext.com
Enter a book you like and the site will analyze our database of real readers'
favorite books (over 47,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

www.literature-map.com
Discover new writers you will like, travel the map of literature and discuss your favorite books and authors.

www.goodreads.com
Have you ever wanted a better way to:
*see what your friends are reading?
*keep track of what you've read and what you'd like to read?
*get great book recommendations from people you know?

www.novelaction.com
Select any books you want from the site and send in an equal number of your books in exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment