Having a great conversation...

Ever find yourself at a loss for words?

Do you struggle to make conversation when introduced to people?

Obviously, some people are natural conversationalists, but I tend to be quiet and guarded with my words. I don't want to appear aloof, but I struggle to speak quick and intelligent words on the spur of the moment. I realize that conversations can be taken to great heights or killed with a single word. To make better connections with people, Gail Blanke, a personal coach suggests a technique called "yes...and."

How it works: Two people are given the words 'blueberry pie' with which to create a conversation. It might go:

Person #1: I made a blueberry pie.
Person #2: Yes, you made a blueberry pie. And do you remember the last time we had blueberry pie?
Person #1: Yes, I remember. We took a picnic into the woods, and that's when you said you wanted to join...

See what's happening? Suddenly there's a story, a direction, and a purpose. Using two simple words "yes...and" moves the conversation into new territory. It also gives me the chance to acknowledge what's been said and then move the conversation to a new place, where I just might discover something delightful.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this idea. I think I will try it today with my kids when they come home and talk about school. By the way, why are you awake at such crazy hours of the morning??
    Heidi Mack

    ReplyDelete