Thoughts on gratitude...

I've spent the past few days talking about gratitude. I think gratitude is one of the main threads that's woven throughout the life of a mature follower of Jesus Christ. If your heart and mind are filled and overflowing with gratitude, both past and future (as we have recently discussed), you are more inclined and will pursue trusting Him in all things.

We leave our discussion on gratitude with these final thoughts...

Piper continues,


"It seems to me that this interwovenness of future-oriented faith and past-oriented gratitude is what prevents gratitude from degenerating into the debtor’s ethic. Gratitude for bygone grace is constantly saying to faith, “Be strong, and do not doubt that God will be as gracious in the future as I know he’s been in the past.”


I have no trouble within my heart and soul accepting this "bygone grace" with all humility and thankfulness. The following "future grace" is where I often stumble and fall missing the blessing of peace within my soul.

"And faith in future grace is constantly saying to gratitude, “There is more grace to come, and all our obedience is to be done in reliance on that future grace. Relax and exult in your appointed feast. I will take responsibility for tomorrow’s obedience.” Or, as Jesus would say, “O ye of little faith. Do not be anxious”" (Matthew 6:30-31, KJV)

Where do you stand with future-oriented grace and past-oriented grace?


No comments:

Post a Comment