Jan Johnson on ....

 Memorizing key portions of scripture...

"...this is the primary discipline for the thought life. We need to know these passages like the back of our hand...constantly turning them over in our minds...to get so familiar with the passage that it would be difficult not to memorize it."

Turning scripture over in our minds...
 
"I worked at getting every word right, but I never turned it over in my mind. But then certain passages became near and dear to me, and I couldn't resist. I'd studied their structure and how they fit together. I'd meditated on them and entered into them. Certain phrases rolled off my tongue with fondness."


Meditating on scripture...

 "...God as a constant presence in my mind, crowding out false idea's, destructive images, misinformation about God, and crooked beliefs...

...we cannot transform our idea's, images, information or thought processes into Christlikeness by direct effort, but we can adopt certain practices to have that effect."

No comments:

Post a Comment