Quotes of the Week

The things I thought were so important - because of the effort I put into them - have turned out to be of small value. And the things I never thought about, the things I was never able to either to measure or to expect, were the things that mattered.
--Thomas Merton


Most of us can identify ways we wear masks of our own creation. The fact that we are capable of thinking about how we want to behave in any given situation shows that we can make choices about this.
--David G. Benner


Do not flatter the wealthy, and avoid the society of the great. Associate rather with the humble and simple, the devout, and the virtuous, and converse with them on such things as edify.
--Thomas a Kempis


I had been taught that the way to connect with God on a daily basis is to have a 30-minute "quiet time." That is, you should sit down with your Bible open, read it a little, and then lay a bunch of stuff on God, making sure to mention how excellent he is before running through the list of all the things you need. Taking place of my 30-minute quiet time, however, were hours and hours of that great religious tradition: guilt. Here was the equation: God is out there + God wants to hear from me + I'm not talking = failure by me.
--Tony Jones, The Sacred Way (Spiritual Practices for Everyday)


Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire.
--Thomas Merton

My job is to follow the Spirit's movement, never to try to move people on my own. I am to desire the Spirit's goal for my troubled friends: not a better marriage, but an aroused appetite for God that could lead to a better marriage...but I can never make it happen. I'm not in control of what matters most. I'm dependent on prayer, not cleverness.
--Larry Crabb


No comments:

Post a Comment