Memories of my girls...

I am in a reminiscent mood tonight.

As I sat this evening wrapping my daughters freshly washed hair in sponge rollers, I was flooded with memories from my childhood. My mother's slow but steady skill of french braiding my long, curly difficult hair into two neat rows. Thoughts of her patiently brushing the tangles and helping me find order in a head full of curly chaos. She often used this opportunity to engage me in conversation while my 'hair' frustrations melted away with her kind words. Her example challenges me today to serve my daughters while I have them near to me. In the blink of an eye, they will be gone.

Later on as I prayed for each of them, I aspired to evoke memories...one by one, holding them before God for a few moments. As I prayed, I was thankful for each and every occasion He has given me to teach, mentor, stretch & challenge, laugh and love ON them.

While I thought over these precious experiences, there were painful memories as well as pleasant ones. Each represented a different part of my life with them. For me, praying in this was a kind of therapy, for it was a positive way of dealing with the high and low points of our lives together.

I began by recalling some good memories. Dwelling on special occasions, achievements, conversations, and life changing moments we've shared. I offered these to God, thanking him for the many opportunities he's given me to shape and mold their young lives. Then, without trying, a painful memory would slip into my consciousness. Some event that might have been bad at the time, but now seems a long, long time ago. I thanked Him for those memories too, for they helped stretch and shape me into the parent I am today.

As I sat prayerfully recalling the events in their lives, both large and small, I engaged in a divine moment. My heavenly Father has never been far from my side...watching and guiding me. The panorama of years that I have already experienced is an immensely rewarding gift from Him. In my next moment of frustration or impatience, I will think...

'this too will pass and become part of the history of our lives together.
It is good to live and to give thanks for this to God!'

No comments:

Post a Comment