Looking for a good book to read?

My friend Jill was asked by her book club members to make their next reading selection. At her blog, she writes...

I had to make a big decision this week.
Okay, in the grand scheme of things...marriage, which country to live in, take the job or not...
it wasn't a big decision, but a lot was riding on it.
  • What if they didn't like it?
  • What if it was too hard to get?
  • What if...?

A friend suggested I think too much. I have other friends, older friends, who used to encourage me to think more!


I agree with her that choosing 'what' to read is almost as important as choosing what 'not' to read. I've recently finished a wonderful classic, Jane Eyre. I can't believe I've put off reading this lovely volume for so many years.


The many themes of the book range from moral to religious to social class, gender relations to disability themes. The many versions made of this work are too numerous to count: silent films, motion picture productions, musical versions, and literature adaptations inspired by Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre uses many motifs from Gothic fiction such as the Gothic manor (Thornfield), the Byronic hero (Rochester and Jane herself) and the Madwoman in the Attic (Bertha), whom Jane perceives as resembling "the foul German spectre—the Vampyre" (Chapter XXV) and who attacks her own brother in a distinctly vampiric way.


You can find this British novel written by Charolotte Bronte in it's entirity online here. And in it's audiobook form here. It was published in London, England in 1847 by Smith, Elder & Co. with the title Jane Eyre. An Autobiography under the pen name "Currer Bell". (Harper & Brothers of New York came out with the American edition in 1848.)


This would be my choice Jill.....

No comments:

Post a Comment