Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver (born September 10, 1935) is an American poet. "Mary Oliver's poetry is an excellent antidote for the excesses of civilization. She is a poet of wisdom and generosity whose vision allows us to look intimately at a world not of our making," wrote of her by the Harvard Review.

Here are several quotes I enjoyed from her poetry...


“To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and,
when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go”


“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”


“When it's over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.”


“To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work”


“So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards.
So this is how you pray.”

No comments:

Post a Comment