Paying attention to our tears...

"I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. Jeremiah 31:33

Deborah Smith Douglas recalls hearing a wise priest say that we should be grateful for whatever breaks our heart. Reflecting on God's promise to write 'upon' our hearts, rather than 'within' them, he suggested that our own hearts are so hard that all God can do is write upon the surface."

It is only when our hearts break, that they break open...then the word of God can enter deeply.


We should prize the gift of tears?

Leon Blum has said, "Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence. "

In my own suffering and heartache I have tried to surrender to God's presence. I have tried to withstand the hurt of others. Yet there are still 'places in my heart' that I long for God's holy writing...within my heart. After months of struggle, I willingly acknowledge there are places inside me that might never have been explored had it not been for the dark times in recent days. In a very strange and mysterious way the light shone in and opened up the darkness. So when tears come instead of avoiding them I am trying to learn to pay attention...to pause...and ask...What makes these tears come?

No comments:

Post a Comment