Growing up is hard to do...

With restless apprehension, I help them carry their suitcases to her car.
Crazy thoughts begin to race like wild animals in my brain.

It's only for a weekend.

She's been driving for 2.5 years.

They'll be back on Sunday.

It's not forever....


Later this afternoon, my three precious baby girls will take their first ROAD TRIP ~ alone. ( i.e. without me). I really didn't see it coming. Yesterday they were asking to be dropped off at the mall. Today Tessa will manuever her way in rush hour traffic. All three were born with a spirit of adventure & independence when it comes to traveling. They can have their bags packed and be ready to travel in minutes.


Last night while gathering last minute items for their time away, I could hear the excitement of independence in their voices. I remember when I dreamt of 'going my own way' 'making my own decisions' and thinking life would be grand!

I take a slow deep breathe. One day they will pack their bags and leave our home to make their way in this world. I understand that. I know it is a natural step for them to want this distance from me. But that thought doesn't make saying good-bye this morning any easier.

As I return to the house, I can already sense within my heart I must refocus my thoughts of worry and dread. Dark thoughts that hover like a piano falling from the sky.


I think I'll begin a new project this weekend.
Something I've had on my list of things to do for quite a while.
It will help my thoughts from straying.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Cheryl! This means you have done an excellent job of preparing your girls for LIFE!!! Try to look at this new time in your life as some "bonus" time for YOU to do whatever it is YOU might wish to do...whether, as you said, a new project...a new book...a walk...a cup of tea with a friend...time with Murphy!!! Enjoy...you have done your job well!!

    ReplyDelete