Quotes of the Week

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Psalm 111:10

Our life's dance is not painted for us in the footsteps on the floor. It's not laid out so we know where to place our next step. We simply have to judge which steps best fit the rhythms that we hear.
Paul Marshall


When you wrestle with the text, you walk away limping. And some people have no limp, because they haven't wrestled. But the ones limping have had an experience with the living God.

Rob Bell


Starting a long way off the true point, and proceeding by loops and zig-zags, we now and then arrive just where we ought to be.
George Eliot


Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
(Milton's) Satan


Do not extenuate death to me, glorious Odysseus. I would rather wish just to be as a field serf in service to another, Even to a man without allotment who had not much to live on, Than to be lord over all the dead that have utterly perished.
(Homer's) Achilles


No one has successfully gotten this Jesus. The question is always whether or not Jesus' rare ethos has gotten hold of us.
David Dark


Batter my heart, three-person'd God; for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn and make me new...
Take me to you, imprison me, for I
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

John Donne

No comments:

Post a Comment