Celtic Spirituality


Glendalough, the monastic “Valley of the Two Lakes” (Photograph: Patrick Comerford, 2009).


Be thou my vision
, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.


Be thou my wisdom
, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.


Be thou my breastplate
, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armor, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.


Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.


High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.




Words: Ancient Irish hymn;trans. Mary Byrne, 1905, and versified by Eleanor Hull, 1912


No comments:

Post a Comment