When is a disciple made?

In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.  And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles." 
 (Luke 6:12,13)

I am pondering spiritual issues on this cold and dreary Saturday morning.  My bible study will soon start and I'm contemplating the aspects of discipling a group of young believers. 
Our entire church - from the sanctuary to the nursery - will be studying through The Story in 2012 and I am nervous. You would probably consider me an anti-curriculum Bible study leader.  I am a purist - I like to lead a Bible study straight from scripture.  Leading from a curriculum based study is making me edgy. 
With this in mind, I keep telling myself - disciplining doesn't come from 'methods' but God working through me as I lead each week.  The curriculum will be a 'tool' which helps create context for our conversations.  Talking through the curriculum each week will raise issues of discipleship or growing in maturity, but I must be the catalyst for those discussions.  As the discipler, I must embody the principles in my life and convictions.  I must model the way.  
I'm frustrated because I've let myself dwell on this concern all week instead of praying for my new disciples.  I must remember discipling is a relationship and not the curriculum we use.  As I intentionally walk alongside a person challenging them by love to grow in Christ, 'modeling the way' will create an atmosphere that effects their values, attitudes and behaviors.
whew...
Here's my question - Is a disciple ever made? 
I'm not sure, but will be praying through the scriptures below THIS week.
"We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.  To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works within me"  Colossians 1:28,29
"My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you"  Galatians 4:19
"What you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others a well"  2 Timothy 2:2
Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment