a review: Five Ways to Grow My Faith...Practical Teaching


Was there a time or place in your life, that you heard the Word spoken like you'd never heard it before?

Bob Cherry, our pastor, began with the greatest 'practical teaching' passage in the entire Bible...the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).

With my paraphrasing, "...if you want a big faith for God, then here's where you'll find how to live it and what it looks like..." Jesus blew them away with ...if your neighbor asked you to walk one mile---THEN WALK TWO!

If you want your faith to grow...then do something!! Cherry encouraged us over and over with words like 'engage' and 'apply'.

The wise man of Matthew 7:24 applied his knowledge and 'did the right thing'. In the verses that followed, the scripture says, "...the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes..." Jesus taught with authority, not just with knowledge.


Cherry went on to ask... Are out kids being taught as Jesus?
  • They must learn to apply. We as parents must make sure they are in classes that are geared toward application and not just retaining more information.

He closed with a paint can illustration. I could buy this nice can of paint, chose the color, texture, and finish. I could bring it home and set it in my room. I 'know' it's paint. I 'know' the color. I 'know' where and how I'll paint, but if I don't open the can and USE IT...it's useless to me.

"...we (and our kids) need to be in an environment that someone is OPENING the lid of the paint can and using it... "puts it into practice" This is a wise man.

He ends with 'Jesus Is All the World to Me' in a capella...

Jesus is all the world to me, my life, my joy, my all;
He is my strength from day to day, without Him I would fall.

When I am sad, to Him I go, no other one can cheer me so;
when I am sad, He makes me glad, He`s my friend.


Jesus is all the world to me, my Friend in trials sore;
I go to Him for blessings, and He gives them over and o`er.

He sends the sunshine and the rain, He sends the harvest`s golden grain;
sunshine and rain, harvest of grain, He`s my friend.


Jesus is all the world to me,I want no better friend;
I trust Him now, I`ll trust Him whenlife`s fleeting days shall end.

Beautiful life with such a friend, beautiful life that has no end;
eternal life, eternal joy,He`s my friend.


In reflection...
Am I making practical applications of what I learn, or am I just eager to obtain more and more knowledge?




No comments:

Post a Comment