One remembered and returned...

Do you remember the story of Jesus and the ten lepers?
On the way, they were healed.

In their excitement, they all ran on to the temple with their families. Only one returned and thanked Jesus for healing.

How often have I missed the blessing of thanksgiving? By failing to meditate on the countless gifts of God, and offer prayers of thanksgiving, I lose out on the incredible experiences that will enrich my life.

"...sometimes, because we are not thankful, we become sorry for ourselves, and feel neglected," states John Killinger in his book, Beginning Prayer.

Recently I was given news that 'rocked my world.' Feelings of bewilderment, frustration, and resentment were waiting at the door of my mind...ready to leap into my consciousness. As I sat on the edge of my bed, wanting desperately to awaken from this bad dream, I thought of something in my life I was thankful for and gave thanks for it.

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow... I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the LORD. Psalm 116:1-3; 17
"Try this yourself.
Not just when you're in distress, but as a daily method of prayer.
Most of us have no idea how rich we are.
Simply listen, in your time of silence, to the voice of the Spirit suggesting things for which you should give thanks.
Then, each time, say a quiet thank you.
I think you will understand better than ever before the Mystery of God's loving care for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment