Do you like to sleep?

I woke up this morning to the sound of my cell phone alarm. It seems I had just laid my head down and that bell chimes. At that first moment of cognizant 'morningness', a thought whizzes through my sleepy brain. "You are sleep deprived...hit the snooze one more time!"

According to the Harvard Health Review, a recent survey found that more Americans are sleeping less than six hours a night, and sleep difficulties visit 75% of us at least a few nights a week. And it reported that sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience and the inability to be attentive.

When was the last time someone advised you to take both a long walk and an afternoon nap? You might faint if they did. Our lives are too busy for long walks and afternoon siesta's. I can't tell you the times I have found either myself or my girls in the Harvard studies predicament...tired, irritable and impatient. My girls are constantly wound up with studies, school & friend issues and they become worn down.

Why not stop and take a long walk? In my heart I know it will renew my attitude and spirit, but I opt instead to redirect my attention to pressing matters.

Sleep. Nap. Drowse. Slumber. Rest. Doze.
Did you yawn reading those peaceful words?

Here's a thought: Is sleep a spiritual exercise? Leighton Ford in his new book, The Attentive Life has this to say about finding rest for your soul.

"...we are not just spiritual beings. We are embodied spirits. Only God does not need sleep. ("He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep," said the psalmist in 121:4). But even he rested one out of seven days. God loves our bodies; he made them. And he made us to need sleep, both for our bodies and for the renewal of our souls...

Sleep is a spiritual exercise because it is an expression of trust. Going to sleep is a way of admitting that we are not God, that we are very human, and that we can leave the universe (and our own small worlds) overnight in the care of the God who runs the universe. He "gives sleep to his beloved," said the psalmist in 127:2. Or, as it can be translated, "He provides for his beloved during sleep."

"I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O LORD, make me like dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

Find time...soon to take a long walk and think about what the Lord would want for your body and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment