EASY BUTTON


Should I use the Easy button?

I know you've seen the Staples commercials where people are able to get out of tough places by just pressing an “Easy” button.


I can visualize pressing a large "Easy" button at the dinner table as conversations turn to boys, dating, and curfew issues. As my husband and I talk with our daughters and discuss their options in these matters, I can feel the tension growing with each word we speak.

Maybe this is when I could press it and see what happens. How tempting is that? It is amazing how many times a situation or dilemma might call for the ease of pressing an “Easy” button to avoid the stress. A button to help me escape the moment.


The question becomes… should I press the “Easy” button?

After all who wouldn’t want to press it? Life should be easy. Right? We shouldn’t be bothered by things that might cause us a little pain or embarrassment. But is the “Easy” way out always the best? Are we missing growth opportunities and life experiences that are really beneficial?



Ask yourself a simple question… where do you grow the most?

Is it doing “easy” things or is the challenging and difficult tasks that bring real fulfillment? Is it doing something where you might fail? Where you may be less than perfect? Where you might be embarrassed?


Author John Maxwell in his book, Failing Forward, offers this inspirational advice,


“The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure.”


This has been so true in my life and in hindsight I’m thankful there wasn’t an easy button in many situations.


No comments:

Post a Comment