two friends...

I had been out all day shopping by myself.  Alone, I had been wrestling with decisions I would make in the weeks to come.  Several times I had tried to imagine the words of wisdom Jill would use to challenge me.

Pondering these thoughts, I noticed two women from a distance approach one another.  They were friends. Their exchange inside this crowded place went unnoticed by everyone but me. I was overwhelmed by it.

The older woman approached her young friend with arms outstretched and palms upward. They quickly embraced. During their entire conversation the younger absorbed every word while remaining on tip-toe.  Their conversation led to plans and they were gone.

I was reminded of a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson,

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship."

No comments:

Post a Comment