Taste death

“Taste death as though it were present...taste it with the lips of your living body [so] that you can know emotionally that you are a creature who will die."
-Martin Luther

Taste death as though it were present. I did once.

From the moment my grandmother whispered 'the cancer has returned', the daffodils popping up from a cold hard soil, till the last moment her thin frame inhaled its last breath, her death altered my life forever. Never before had I loved and lost.  Never before had I felt emptiness wash over me like a tidal wave of sadness.   

Why had I not held her hand everytime when we walked side by side?  How could my mind catalog and store all the loving images of her within my heart and mind?  How would I survive without her gentle force moving and shaping my life?


I woke up.

Death changes the way you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment