The prodigal son it a story about returning. I realize the importance of returning over and over again.  My life drifts away from God.  I have to return. My heart moves away from my first love.  I have to return.  My mind wanders.  I have to return.  Returning is a lifelong struggle.

The prodigal son didn't return because of a renewed love for his father. No, he returned simply to survive.  He realized the way he had chosen was leading him to death.  Returning to his father was a necessity to stay alive.

I am moved by the fact that the father didn't need any higher motivation. His love was so total and unconditional that he simply welcomed his son home.

This is a very encouraging thought. God does not require a pure heart before embracing us. Even if we return only because following our desires have failed to bring happiness, God will take us back.

God's love doesn't require any explantions on why we are returning.  God is good to see us home and wants to give us all we desire just for being home.

Lord, my life is filled with returning.  Returning will be a life long struggle. Give me an understanding of your great love - your hearty embrace as I run back into your arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment