Resting in the hand of His care

Psalm 23

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.

3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.

4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

_________________________________________________________________


May the Lord be my shepherd today. When I’m teaching school, I know I’ll have all that I need to teach and instruct the girls. He will be beside me, in the green meadows he has placed me in. He leads me beside the peaceful streams that he has planned for me to be near. I have everything I need to be content today and enjoy his presence.

He has promised today to renew my strength. He knows that with this new day I face, I’ll need more of his presence than I had yesterday. It’s already leaked from me. He guides me along…he is walking, touching me as we walk along the path (my day) together. I am not alone. When I walk today, I will bring him honor because he walks with me, has planned my days, and has prepared to guide me.

Today I may face the darkest valley; I will try not to be afraid Lord, because I know you are there with me. You stand nearby to give me comfort and protection.

A feast, what could this mean today? A feast is being prepared in the presence of my enemies. Those who plan to hurt or harm me today, a feast is being prepared to show that you love me and I’m cared for. You anoint my body with good things, with precious gifts, and many miracles of how you care for me. I am so blessed because you are in my life…the blessings spill over and down onto the floor.

Since you are in my life and will always be…and since your unfailing-never ending love will always follow me…I want you to stay with me forever. I want to stay in your presence forever.

_______________________________________________________________

Is my life resting in His care? Is this a realism in my life?

Otherwise there is a danger of falling into a rut of 'cheerfulness' Christianity that I don't feel, but need to project. The necessary support I must rely upon comes from Jesus and the reality that the abundant life is the kingdom of God in me. Jan Johnson writes, "He makes this available to us in response to our confidence in him. It is love of God, admiration and confidence in his greatness and goodness, and the regular experience of his care that free us from the burden of looking out for ourselves....{when this happens} I meet everything that happens as sent, or at least permitted, by God. I meet it resting in the hand of his care."


1 comment:

  1. Oh to think that I would proceed in every part of my life with reference to God first and consistently.
    To think that I would seek Him for who He is, not for what benefit I might gain. To think that He would permeate my being, infusing my thoughts and motives with His intentions and love. That would be joy. That would be peace. That would be faith incarnate & vivid!

    ReplyDelete