For a moment...

I have had a fairly routine Monday. Schooling the girls, car-pooling to the high school, and dropping off my baton twirler for practice.

I awoke this morning with a horrible headache, but luckily it disappeared by mid-morning. How easily a headache can change my plans, ruin a well scheduled day, and send my routine into chaos. But this afternoon, in anticipation of my small group meeting, I began to look through my day. How did I recognize God's presence in my day? How did I respond?

If I don't take time to sit down and 'examen' my days...they all converge into a month. Examen..."is a way of noticing where God shows up in my day. It is a practice that attends to what we might otherwise miss in the press of duties and busyness. The questions of the examen open our attention to our mental state, our body responses and our emotional baggage. Our insomnia, nervous stomach, difficult interaction and headache can all take their place as a possible way of more deeply leaning into God. Once these things are known, they become part of our ongoing interaction with God in prayer." says Anne Calhoun in Spiritual Disciple Handbook

When today did I have the deepest sense of connection with God?
For what moment today am I most grateful? Least grateful?

Perspective and direction for the future happen through listening to where and how God shows up in my day and then interacting with Him in prayer. So, as I heard His still small voice this morning, I call a new friend and invite her to our group. When visiting with her yesterday, I heard a hint of disappointment. I have been there. I need to make contact with this friend He has brought into my path.

I want to be involved and listening for His gentle leading voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment