A shadow

A shadow is darkness where light is blocked.
It occupies all of the space behind an opaque object with light in front of it.


This afternoon as our plane began its descent into Denver, I looked out my window as the sun was shining brightly above our plane. It was so brilliant and intense, it cast a shadow on the ground below in the shape of big puffy clouds. I could almost reach out and touch the dark places spotting the ground in the shape of the clouds miles overhead.

I began to think of how God has placed His 'shadow' of goodness, mercy, and love over my entire life. My heart was instantly filled with gratitude for how faithful He has been to me. His shadow appears in my life as though it were a seal. "For you are a holy people, who belong to the Lord your God...the Lord your God has chosen you to be his own special treasure." Deuteronomy 7:6

As we continued to descend, the shadow of the airplane replaced the shadow of the puffy clouds. It was easy to recognize the shape of the flying beast of a machine rather than the spiraling shapes of the puffy clouds. At once my heart was convicted. What have I allowed to replace the shadow of God in my life? Indifference? Annoyance? Bitterness? Resentment?

O Lord, I have followed my own feelings and opinions. I have pursued the desires of my heart. They are deceitful, all of them. O Lord, have mercy on me. Spare me, O God, as I confess this to You. Restore me so that Your promises, your goodness, 'your shadow' will shine to all the people I engage. Go with me, LORD, as I seek to live a godly, righteous, and temperate life. To your name be the glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment