In Ruth Haley Barton's book, Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry, she writes..."this is a book about the soul—your soul, my soul, and the soul of our leadership. When I refer to the soul, I am not talking about some ill-defined, amorphous, soft around-the- edges sort of thing. I am talking about the part of you that is most real—the very essence of you that God knew before he brought you forth in physical form, the part that will exist after your body goes into the ground.

This is the “you” that exists beyond any role that you play, any job that you perform, any relationship that seems to define you, or any notoriety or success you may have achieved. It is the part of you that longs for more of God than you have right now and that may, even now, be aware of “missing” God amid the challenges of life in ministry."

Barton gives the example of losing your soul is similar to losing a credit card. You think it's in your wallet so you don't give it much thought until one day you reach for it and you can't find it. The minute you realize it's gone, you start scrambling to find it, trying to remember when you last used it or at least had it in your possession.

Barton addresses such ideas as...

"Some of us know that we are losing bits and pieces of our souls every day and we are scared to death that we might be very close to going over an edge. Others of us are still hanging in there fairly well but we are not sure how much longer we'll last."

I have been in this place. Behind my quiet facade I was enduring heartbreak, failure, and loneliness so great that I questioned whether leadership in any form was for me. Questioning how people could be so chronically difficult and mean spirited in a fellowship of Christ believers. Questioning my own emotions and weighing whether or not I was losing my mind...along with my soul.

No matter what is going on in your life, you must stop and examine...

How is it with your soul?

More thoughts tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment