spiritual formation



This is a reflective activity from Henri Nouwen's book, Spiritual Direction.  At the end of each chapter, Nouwen encourages the reader to 'ask the deeper questions of the spiritual life' through journaling.

'...{journaling} is a way of recording how you feel about certain observations, presentations, and idea's and proclaiming what you believe in a context of prayer and listening...'

Nouwen suggests the reader select two trustworthy persons to examine and discuss the following questions/statements. 

Identify and name a persistent question at this time in my life.

Lord,
  • Where do you want me to serve you on a regular basis?

  • In what area of my life do I need to 'chip away' attitudes or behavior's that stand in opposition to you?

Do I know or perceive where God is active and where He is leading me?

Lord,
  • You are leading me into places I'd rather not go (John 21:18). In love and obedience, I will follow even though I don't understand why.

  • I am exploring the possibility of obtaining a Spiritual Director. Someone to hold me accountable, to help me explore Your claim on my life, and someone to help me recognize Your activity and say YES to it.

to be continued...
 
How do I listen attentively to God and what am I hearing right now?
What questions would I like to explore with a Spiritual Director?
Where am I prone to self-rejection?
What moments in my life with God stand out as crucial in my spiritual journey?
What persons, books, and idea's have played a significant role in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment