Cul-de-sac's in my life...


My home in Indiana was located on a cul-de-sac. It was really a dead-end street in my neighborhood with only one inlet or outlet. We enjoyed having the benefit of less traffic in our residential area.


David Benner
, is a Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Spirituality at the Psychological Studies Institute in Atlanta, Georgia. In his article, The Heart's Desire, writes about the 'journey of desire' leading us to "cul-de-sacs" in our lives.


Think about your spiritual walk with God.


Where has it led you? Have there been speed bumps AND humps to overcome? Have you learned from them? Or like me, have you tried to figure them out on your own? Have you spun around in a cul-de-sac wondering and searching for a way out?


Are you always questioning the reasons why things happen to you? I've asked God so many questions in the past five years, it's too overwhelming to think about. It seems I've been stuck in a 'cul-de-sac' repeatedly asking Him, "Why? Why? Why?"


I might also catagorize a "cul-de-sac" as liminal space. (I've written on this subject many times). This is a time or experience that might stop us in our tracks. Maybe its the death of a loved one, or loss of a job. Something that captures our attention and causes us to pause and ask...where am I going?


So, yes, I've experienced many 'cul-de-sacs' in my short life. They have been good for me, though at the time I would've begged to disagree. They have allowed me to emerge with a refined and larger identity of who I am in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment