1 Peter 3:14 ~ Inductively

"But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. 
Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated."



KEY WORDS:
  • Fear (phaebo) - to put to flight by terrifying; dread, anxiousness or terror.
  • Intimidated - agitate, to cause inward commotion.


PARAPHRASE:

'If you should happen to suffer for doing the right thing, that is a privilege.  You don't need to fear their threats or worry about them coming true.'


How is this verse at work within my life?

In the past fifteen years, there have been misunderstandings and complications in my ministry life.  My natural reaction is to take it personally...an attack on who I am.  But along with accumulating grey hair, I am maturing in WHOM I belong.  I journal daily and ask myself: Am I living right?  Is this the life God wants me to live? 

So when someone confronts me - I'm not easily shaken.  When I know I've acted selfishly, I must confess it and  move along.  Living in intimidation of others doesn't work well with me - I'm too confrontational.


What do I learn about God in this verse?

  • I am blessed.
  • God is at work - actively working out my good.
James 1:12, Psalm 34:19, and Hebrews 12:6,11


What does God want me to do with this verse?

Even if I am affected by something or someone and I am in tormoil, I must HOLD FAST.   The promised condition of scripture is "we are blessed."  This is a supernatual trust in God.

I must make a choice not to fear, not to be agitated -no matter what the circumstances look like.  In facing fear, I must remember not to fear what the world fears...cancer, death, what people think, loss of status or lack of purpose.


PARALLEL:

"...take courage, it is I; do not be afraid..."  Matthew 14:27


NUTSHELL:

Fully satisfied.  Am I fully satisfied?